COVID-19 – Sponsored Research Resources – compiled 4/15/20
For more information about these sources, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Colorado Denver/Anschutz Medical Campus, Office of Grants and Contracts Resource Page http://www.ucdenver.edu/research/OGC/Pages/COVID_Guidance.aspx
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Resources
- NIH is open for business
- Extramural staff are working remotely
- They continue to process applications and make awards
- They are conducting peer review meetings virtually
- They are working diligently to provide funding opportunities to support COVID-19 research
- NIH will accept late applications through May 1 for deadlines between March 9 and May 1
- No justification for the late submission is needed
- FOAs expiring within that time period will be extended
- Details in NOT-OD-20-091
Salaries & stipends
- If unable to work on grant or training activities, salaries and stipends may be charged to NIH grants (this is in accordance with University policy)
- Researchers can be diverted to clinical work related to COVID-19 without prior approval. Clinical revenue can be used as voluntary cost sharing to support salaries under project.
- Stipends can continue to be charged to NRSA grants
- More here: NOT-OD-20-086 and FAQs at grants.nih.gov/faqs#/covid-19.htm
Human Subjects Research
- NIH will be flexible regarding project extensions and accommodating unanticipated costs
- Changes to an IRB-approved protocol related to COVID-19 need to be recorded in clinicaltrials.gov no later than 30 calendar days after protocol amendment was approved
- If HS study is canceled, suspended or transitioning to telemedicine due to COVID-19, contact funding IC to determine impact on research progress and further steps
- More here: NOT-OD-20-087 and FAQs at grants.nih.gov/faqs#/covid-19.htm
Post-award Reporting (RPPR/FFR) & Closeouts
- Must contact GMS and/or PO if RPPR or FFR cannot be submitted on time
- Delay of submission may not exceed 1 year
- Issuing grant awards will be delayed until the reports are received and accepted by the appropriate Institute or Center (IC).
- Closeout reporting that will be submitted late should contact the NIH Closeout Center (NIHCloseoutCenter@mail.nih.gov) and provide justification on effects of COVID-19 in the institution and the grants where reporting will be delayed.
No Cost Extensions
- A 1st NCEs is typically allowed for most awards; NIH will be approving 2nd NCEs related to COVID-19 effects. Must notify funding IC via the Prior Approval module in eRA
- Extension for Fellowships and Career Development awards will be considered. Contact funding IC about extension request. PI effort can be temporarily reduced below program requirement, contact funding IC.
- Extension for NRSA award may be requested to the funding IC for consideration
- Pre-award costs may be charged to NIH supported grants dating back to January 20, 2020 through April 30, 2020 as outlined in the declaration of the public health emergency.
- Funds cannot be shifted from one NIH award to another due to COVID-19.
- If PI is absent from project for 3 months or more, awardees should identify temporary replacement or research will be paused & delays should be reported in annual RPPR.
- Non-refundable costs for travel, events, etc can be charged to grant. Vouchers must be used if granted.
- Supplements may be requested to support existing resources that were diverted due to COVID-19, e.g., donation of PPE, lab equipment, supplies, travel costs to support COVID-19 patient care, etc.
Other Sponsors Resource Pages
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) – https://www.cdc.gov/grants/public-health-emergencies/covid-19/index.html
National Science Foundation (NSF) – https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/coronavirus/
Department of Defense (DoD) – https://basicresearch.defense.gov/COVID-19/Frequently-Asked-Questions/
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) – for COVID-19 related guidance, email email@example.com