Please complete the application in full. Failure to provide all information requested could result in failure to consider the application. Pages should be single spaced with no more than 15 characters per linear inch (cpi) and no more than 6 lines per vertical inch (11 font Arial preferred). Compile the application in the order below.
1. Complete the face page included in this application. Note that the Project Summary is limited to 200 words.
2. Insert NIH budget pages: PHS 398 (Rev. 01/18 Approved Through 03/31/2020) form page 4, then form page 5. No salary for PI. No need to calculate F & A costs. Up to $20,000 direct costs per year. Second year of funding contingent on demonstrated progress and renewal of NORC. Forms are included. (Pilot & Feasibility Budget period for first year will be 8/1/18 – 7/31/19). Requests for funds for travel up to $1,500 may be included but the goal of the program is to have funds primarily used for research expenses. Requests for funds for computers is not allowed.
3. Insert a NIH biosketch (5-page limit). Instructions can be found at
https://grants.nih.gov/grants/forms/biosketch.htm NOTE: Note: the blank format pages and sample biosketches have been updated to reflect the new expiration date of 03/31/2020. Biosketches created using format pages with an expiration date of 10/31/2018 can continue to be used up until 10/31/2018. Either format is fine for this application.
4. Insert Research Plan. The application should be written similarly to an NIH R01 grant except that the Research Plan is limited to 7 pages. The Research Plan should include the Specific Aims followed by the research strategy which should include sections describing: Significance, Innovation and Approach.
5. Insert Literature Cited – maximum 2 pages not counted in the page limitation for the research plan.
6. Insert page describing the relevance of the proposed study to nutrition and describe your future plans by answering the questions below (1 page limit):
a. Describe the relevance of this project to the field of nutrition.
b. Describe your future plans, including how this project will lead to future independent funding such as an individual NRSA, K award or R level grant.
7. Insert mentor signature page as last page if applicable (category 1 applications). A letter of support from your research mentor outlining their support for you and the proposed project is advised.
8. Label your name as Principal Investigator name on top of each sheet (except face page) and number all pages.
9. Submit your application in the form of an electronic version (single PDF file) by June 1, 2018 to:
Please reference DK048250 in all relevant publications.
Recipients are required to provide progress reports once per year and at the conclusion of your study.
Pilot & Feasibility Study funds are provided from NIH/NIDDK
Project Title: COLORADO NUTRITION OBESITY RESEARCH CENTER
Grant Number: 5P30 DK048520-24
Principal Invest: HILL, JAMES O PhD
Budget Period: 8/01/2018 – 7/31/2019
Project Period: 01/01/1997 – 07/31/2020